Monday, January 3, 2011


So I wanted to write about 13 years. Dr. Van and I had our 13 year anniversary on the 20th of this month. I can’t believe it’s been 13 years. It seems like just last week we were getting hitched (thats southern talk for married). I guess it’s a good thing that it’s gone by fast It would really stink to feel like time is dragging on. I’m very lucky to be married to Dr.Van. I can’t imagine being tied to anyone else ever. I am thankful for him everyday. I laugh with Dr.Van like I never laugh with anyone else. If you know Dr.Van, then you know that my life never has a dull moment. Spontaneous and adventurous, and ambitious those are all words to describe him. He’s also sweet. He’s a good daddy and husband. He’s the hardest worker I know. “Lazy” and “Can’t” are not in his vocabulary. This guy is always on the move. It used to drive me crazy. I am not as on the go as him. In fact, when we are walking together like in the mall for example, I practically jog to keep up with him..You’d think I’d have more shapely legs..hmmm....I feel like I’m pretty much always busy with something, I don’t watch Oprah or Soaps during the day in fact my bum rarely hits the couch or chair, I mostly stand to eat, if anything the only time I really sit is for a moment in the bathroom if we are being really honest. (and I'm fast in there too, I kinda have to be with 4 kids) But when Dr.Van is home, I feel the need to move 10 times faster to keep up with him. I even jump if I take a breather and he walks (quickly walks because that’s how he moves)into the room because I feel bad because he is on a mission to do something, and I stopped to breath. Which he rarely does. He doesn’t judge though, it’s my own need to keep up with him that causes me to move quicker when he’s around. I love him he keeps me going and I now have people trying to keep up with me at the mall. It’s funny though, the other day we were driving and he says to me, “ I can’t believe how relaxed I am here in NC, I don’t think I’ve ever been so relaxed in my life” I had to agree with him and then at the same time I thought “Oh man, if your staff heard you say that they would die, they would think you were pullin' their horses' leg” They can’t believe how fast paced he is and how many crazy ideas he has. They just would never be able to believe that he’s chilled out so much. If they only knew. Anyway. I love this man. He’s mine and I’m so glad he chose me. Thank you Dr.Van for making me so happy. Thank you for a lovely dinner at "Frankie Bones" and for a yummy dessert of caramel apple empanadas...from "Taco Bell"- They were perfectly crisp and sweet. Thank you for my new camera i love it. Or I will once I figure out how to use it. and thank you for the best 13 years ever. We are so M.F.E.O........oxoxoxo, Lynnie. (that's what he calls me..or Lynnard, like Lynnard skynnard, but I don't want to talk about that)


Ok, enough serious, mushy stuff. Let’s talk about Christmas! If I could use one word to describe how my Christmas went this year I wouldn’t be able to decide between “magical” and “perfect”. I’m not even being dramatic...this time. Our first Xmas in NC, on our own pretty much with the exception of my little brother and his wife and baby that recently moved in with us, no other family around to visit no big dinners or parties to make an appearance at. You’d think it would be kinda lonely. I was a bit nervous of how it would play out mostly for our kids, you know not having any cousins around to show there new toys off too. I was hoping they wouldn’t be missing AZ too much so I needed something big and grand to set this Xmas apart from any of the others. But what could I do? Deliver the "pony" #2 wanted? "Every American Girl Doll" Like #3 wanted? Are these two even listening when I talk about what Xmas is really about?? No, No. I needed something magical..So like the silly girl I am I half heartily said a prayer. I had heard there was a rumor that it was supposed to snow Xmas day. As if that would ever happen for me!! But maybe I just needed a little faith. Pray over every needful thing. This was for sure a need. I needed a white Christmas almost as much as I needed and wanted an electric blanket. But that was alot to ask for. So, no snow. Shucks.

My kids insist that I torture them every Xmas morning. "Mom, you take so long to get ready, you have to have your, camera, your video camera, xmas music on, fire in the fireplace, hot chocolate..." And your point is? Yes, I do like to be ready. As did my parents. Was it torture? NO, it was simply prolonging the excitement, the anticipation , the unknown...Dang it I spent a lot of time preparing for this moment and you can wait as long as I want you to. If I want to draw out the magic until noon, then by golly thats what I'll do....Of course I too am a big kid and can't wait that long either so i hurried as fast as I could. I was so torn between making instant hot chocolate and homemade, because the kids were getting antsy, but once again, my inner chef reminded myself it was my Christmas too so homemade hot chocolate it was...And boy did it take longer then usual...But it was yummy...Anyhow, I wasn't sure if #4 would catch onto what was about to unfold (utter chaos) he was running around in a very good mood upstairs trying to be patient with the others, I think their excitement fueled his and he was ready to go. I of course made them line up at the top of the stairs oldest to youngest smiling and happy in their new Xmas Eve Jammies that they get every year (Tradition!!!...Tradition!) this is a tradition I really enjoy, and for the first time, this year #1 asked "so are we getting jammies again on Xmas Eve??" I tried to play dumb..."What do you mean?" I didn't realize he had caught on. " mom, we get jammies every year." Did he not like my tradition? I have fond memories of getting matching jammies with my siblings on Xmas eve, one time everyone put their jammies on, and we waited for mom and dad to come out in their jammies and dad came out dancing in moms matching nightgown, and mom came out in dads matching top and bottoms. We laughed and laughed, we thought that was the funniest thing ever. My dad is goofy. I'm sure it was his idea. Anyhow, my #1 assured me he looked forward to getting jammies every year. I told him, it's "TRADITION"...then I started singing from "Fiddler on the roof"...I'm pretty sure he was sorry he asked me that question after that musical number. I think he'll just assume he's getting jammies next year instead of asking again..

Anyway, they were so ready to come barreling down the stairs and I was too ..secretly..."K" come on down Dr.Van shouts, video camera in hand. Chaos like this has got to be recorded for family history. Oh they were so excited... the gasps! The "OH MY GOSH'S!"...The "MOM LOOK WHAT SANTA BROUGHT!!" Oh, ya...Santa did good. Talk about per ma-grins on all faces, and I'm not talking just about mine either. It was so fun to watch. It felt magical, not lonely. Dr. Van decided we were going to have some order. He was going to "Play Santa" and actually hand out the presents this year instead of a free for all, "where's mine?" frenzy. I was intent on having a bit of order as well. I had a spot set aside for boxes to be broken down as they were opened, I had trash cans and bags handy. I had designated spots for presents to be moved to. Stockings were always last, that way you could clean up the trash and not worry that your "trinkets" as #1 calls them, get thrown away. That being said, stockings are my favorite part. I want everything wrapped in the stockings too. This is very important. So, presents are being handed out one by one, and torn into like it was a contest. Then all of the sudden and I don't know who noticed it first, it was snowing...really, truly, snowing. I was giddy and jumped up and down.Maybe it was from the sugary hot chocolate, Dr.Van played along..."OH, honey isn't it so magical!!??" he jumped too, then he kissed me. It absolutely was! He must of read my thoughts just like all the times we've walked the streets of Disneyland and he leans in and says "isn't it magical?" I know he's making fun, but I didn't care today, it was magical. And the snow was sticking! It snowed ALL DAY LONG!!!! We got like 6-7 inches. It was perfect!!! I was so happy!! BEst XmAs EvEr!!!

After the bomb struck and the craziness settled down (as if you believe that ever happened) I started on breakfast. My #3 sister in law had made maple cinnamon rolls so we popped those into the oven, started some ham and cheese eggs and country potatoes...mmm it smelled so good...Dr.Van and my #3 brother engaged in a war game I think it's called "Axis and Allies"? While the kiddos explored their new treasures. Everything was so yummy, and perfect. We all stayed in our jammies all day long. All Day. ....All Day. We also ate almost an entire cookie sheet of cinnamon rolls...All Day long. I didn't even make Xmas dinner!! We saved it for the next day! Does that just seem wrong to anyone else? Anyone??? Oh well, no one seemed to mind or notice too much and I wasn't hungry for any dinner anyway after probably 5 or 6 cinnamon rolls? I'm guessing?? Every time I walked by I tore a piece off of one...then two...then three...I lost count after that though. So great day, relaxing day, I had so much fun hanging with my little family. I tried really hard to let the kids consume all the sugar they wanted and to not pick up too much, even though my plan for a organized/tidy christmas was shot to !@#@!.

I went into my room alone and laid in bed watching the snow fall out my big windows with my NEW ELECTRIC BLANKET...and fell asleep...until #3 needed a toy taken out of those child proof boxes that they come in, that require a chain saw to open. I really hate the packaging these days..Hope ya'll had a good Christmas too.

1 comment:

  1. hi cute girl. happy 13th to two of my most favorite people in the whole wide world. hope it was a good one. miss you guys tons and my kids want to skype again soon. maybe this week. hope life is treatin' ya good. we are plugging along here in jersey. just trying to get our house ready to sell, have a baby in 4 weeks, and move- it is crazy. call me soon. loves.

    ReplyDelete