Monday, January 10, 2011




Life is just busy, isn't it? Sometimes I complain that I'm too busy. But I also remember the times when I haven't been busy enough and I've been bored out of my mind.....Just kidding, that's never really happened. ever.Dang it....What would that be like? I guess I "grow tired" of things, the same schedule all the time, same routine...etc...Well the last week or so has been anything but routine or boring. In and out of town, no kids, footloose and fancy free..sort of. I still had things to do, places to go, people to see. I'm a busy girl. But I think you already know that.

Dr. Van has been seeing a patient in AZ (totally on the up & up) and finishing up her case this
past year. Implants can be unpredictable little buggers.( Dental implants for those of you just joining us :) Anyhow, he set aside some time to see her and I thought to myself, "Self, you have your brother living with you, you should go along with Dr.Van and let your brother earn some
$$$ by watching the kids, and go visit your family and friends in AZ." So I did just that. After
the guilt of ditching my kids for the new year subsided, I had a really great time. I rented a car, and was able to come and go as I pleased. It was hailing on me almost as soon I got into town, that was weird. I must have brought it from NC. Didn't mean to do that. I headed straight to a baby shower as soon as I dropped off my luggage at the in laws, said some hellos to friends and
family there. Then off to shop with one of my best buds. I enjoyed yummy food and great company. I miss my friends...And Forever 21...sigh.....
The next day the girls planned to go to the movies to see "Tangled!" I was so excited! I hadn't seen it! My kids went already and I was just going to wait for it to come out on video...I mean DVD! What century am I living in?...Remember VHS?....the good ol days.
Just on a side note, because I'm good at those, I remember when my family got our first VCR, we rented "Mary Poppins"..I was so excited. Then I remember Dr. Van and I buying our first VCR. It was about 2 weeks after we were married maybe less, and we had decided on a whim to go to Walmart and buy a VCR, at, hold on to your horses,........ Midnight!! I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh, it's midnight and I'm at Walmart and my mom and dad don't even know where I'm at!!, I'm such a grown up now!" I was way cool. I felt like a rebel. It was great to be me.
So, "Tangled". It was going to be especially good because I didn't have one child with me to take to the bathroom, to make sure they had enough popcorn, to share my drink with and pray I don't swallow their popcorn that made it's way into the drink. Not a single worry or care in the world. I was so excited. I bought my single movie ticket for I don't know, $8 then I got my own
small popcorn, with the butter layered please, ya, I know it's just flavored oil...layer it. No, I don't want a large I'm trying to exercise a little portion control, ...new years resolution. But I
will take a Coke Zero and box of Milk Duds...for the kids of course. I use to work at Movies 8 when I was 16. It was my first job. I know all the "up sell" techniques. "For 50 cents more you
can get a large drink!" I was always dumbfounded by those people who would come in and order a large popcorn, hotdawg (say with a southern twang) and candy and then finish it off with a large "Diet" Coke....
It always baffled me. After all that why stop at the soda? Go for the gusto? I was never a diet drinker so I didn't understand that whole diet thing anyway, but after all that damage your not going to be able to redeem yourself by washing it all down with a large "Diet Coke?", I am blonde but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cancel out all the other calories consumed..(though that would be awesome!)....Guess what though? I've totally become one of them. I totally get it now. I have to save some calories somewhere!!! I have no shame, I proudly walked away with my small popcorn, milk duds and medium Coke Zero. ( By the way when I was asked if I wanted the large $1 refill 2011 cup, I politely declined stating that I would get no use out of it, since I didn't live in AZ anymore, The candy girl couldn't upsell that excuse, and then I got reprimanded by family that do live in AZ and who could have reused the cup this whole year for only $1. Sorry, that was totally rude of me. I will send you a dollar.) So I like getting to the movie early. I like reading the trivia on the screen (did you know that 5,000 guys tried out for the role of "Edward" in "Twilight"?) I like seeing what's coming soon to theaters. I never get to enjoy all that with Dr. Van. We pretty much walk in right when the movie is starting or has started,( then we step over people and block views of those who were seated on time and trying to enjoy the previews that I should have been enjoying too. Yeah, we're those irritating people) Kinda like how we are always running to catch our plane....Another story for another time.
I get so into the previews, in fact by the time the movie started, I was out of popcorn. Maybe I should have gotten the large? Darn. Oh well I still had some milk duds and pop left. By the way you have to place the milk dud in your mouth then shove a big handful of salty hot buttery popcorn in. Like angels dancing on my tongue...It's really a party in your mouth. Try it.

The movie was moving along so nicely, the singing, the cute outlaw, the incredible hair....Then the strangest thing happened. All of the sudden I was watching the credits. Did I miss something? Did the reel break?? What the heck , did we just all get ripped off??? Is someone going to complain to the manager? No one else looks confused but me? Am I getting punked? (Oh I hope so, Ashton Kutcher is so cute) ....Why does my neck hurt? And where did this drool come from? My baby niece sitting next to me?Ohhhh........I get it. I stinkin' fell asleep! How
does one avid Disney Lover, "Disney Scene It" Champion, fall asleep in a Disney Musical?? Especially when I was so excited to see it because everyone raved about how great it was, and how great the music was yada, yada, yada.....And I didn't even have one thing to worry about, except myself! This little display of patheticness (if that's a word, if not it should be) means only one thing. I am officially getting old. I took a nap at the movies people, in a loud Disney movie. And it was an expensive nap too!! I am not a cheap date, but I must be a boring date, I mean I fell asleep on me. Who does that?? .
..Me. Of course. In my defense I was still on NC time and had had a busy day the day before, and I have 4 kids I am ALWAYS tired. So I can't wait til it comes out on DVD, because I have no idea how it ends. Don't tell me either!!! And no, I never read the story of Rapunzel...Did anyone read that story???

More tomorrow my eyeballs are seriously burning..I think I got cold cream in them when I took off my mascara...
NEXT UP....FLORIDA...Don't let me forget.

4 comments:

  1. You crack me up RANDI!!! I miss you. You are such a clever writer, i enjoy it every single time. hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just because people don't make comments doesn't mean they aren't reading...SO Nicole Read...butt out I am the #1 fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LAdies, Ladies!....There is enough "Carolina Girl" to go around...Although I do admit I love being fought over it reminds me of the time when I.....wanted to be fought over but there were no takers...dang. Well, better late then never I always say. Thanks for caring. T-shirts and bumper stickers for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the wit and thanks for taking the time to share. We had a cozy Christmas with just our fam and it was so sweet and magical. Thanks for sharing your holiday with us and it looks like #1 fan is taken, so I'll settle for #1 friend.

    Miss you. Please write a post about how to survive life with four.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete