Thursday, November 4, 2010

New Beginnings

So I just started this new blog. It's my 4th..I know. Oy. But I decided I wanted to document my new life as a "Carolina Girl" Here in North Carolina. I am actually quite stunned with myself for taking on the name of "Carolina Girl" beings that for 8 years I lived in Sunny Arizona and never "warmed" (no pun intended) to the idea of being called a "Mesa Girl." I was not a Mesa Girl. I was born and raised in CA. I had many "Mesa Girl-ish" friends, but I adamantly was not ever a "Mesa Girl." It didn't feel like home to me. I know, I know, "Home" is supposed to be wherever you family is right? And you're supposed to be happy no matter what as long as you're together. But I wasn't. I followed another quote "Home is where your Heart is" and I didn't know where my heart was really, but it for sure wasn't in Mesa.( On a side note I use the phrase "for sure" a lot because I never really learned how to spell definately correctly and I'm too lazy to even spell check.) I tried I really did. I feel like I gave it a good go. I have many warm (haha) memories of Mesa. I made fantastic relationships with a number of great people. I also made better relationships with My inlawed family. Is that a word? Inlawed? Anyhow, I left behind alot.

Perhaps I should give a bit o' history. Real Quick the Van Fam run down. We (my hubby Dr. Van) finished dental school in 02'. We relocated to Mesa AZ, where he had a job lined up with his uncle. I have to be honest. I did not want to move to AZ. At all.. We had lived there and tried it out prior to going to Dental School and it wasn't for me. It reminded me too much of the desert I grew up in. And I didn't want anything to do with that. I wanted something more then rock front yards (that are sometimes sprayed green for that grass-like effect, but yet still lacks something...like life.) and Saguaro Cactus. I wanted change." I want adventure in the great wide somewhere..."Oh my, I totally was just singing Belle's song in my head as I typed. I never realized...I AM BELLE! HOly Cow.. I love Disney. I knew Beauty and The Beast was my fav for a reason.. Anyhow, The minuet we landed in Az I wanted out. But we settled in. "Fine I will try it out" I'd sigh..But it always came back to the same conversation. Is there something more for us out there? No. There wasn't. Oh we did our homework alright. I researched and got excited about every place we checked out. And it never worked out. And I'd give up. Sometimes I even researched a place and then wanted it so bad but couldn't go thru with it because as it turned out. It didn't feel "comfy" it didn't "fit just right" and I wasn't ready to leave behind my AZ life just yet. So I would re-count my blessings and try to settle in once again.

Fall of 2009 came with a vengeance. We had had smooth sailing in our 11yrs of marriage. And within minuets I felt like my world was crashing down around me and I was left uncertain and kinda scared. We had just decided to "try out" a new place for a bit. I was to pick a spot that I thought I may like to live and Dr.Van would commute for a year so we could have a trial run without severing any ties with our practice. It was to be a safety net. So if we didn't like the new place we could come back. I wasn't too jazzed with this idea. I liked Dr.Van I didn't want to be away from him, but if this trial run made him feel better then I was willing to do it.

Connecticut. It was pretty and had pretty houses. It had 4 seasons, that practically made it a foreign country to me! It was far from anything I had ever known, but that was ok with me. I researched homes for sale and rent and practice opportunities too. "Oh my gosh this might actually happen, I'm moving!" I was elated that I was finally getting my shot at "happiness."

Then my plans got interrupted. Dr. Van was racing in an off road race up in the White Mountains of Arizona. He had done it the previous year and had had a blast. It made my stomach queasy knowing he was racing but he loved it. He had a big Sandrail. This thing is huge. And if you are a engine buff you know that a 900 horse power super-charged LS1 Corvette engine is big and fast ( I only know this because Dr.Van is sitting next to me. He's watching video's on You Tube of the sand dunes and racing as i type..coincidence? I think not.) He loves this stuff and was consumed with this race. So much infact, that despite the promptings and rummblings in my tummy I had regarding him racing, he raced anyway. Everything was going to be just fine. It always was.

Well it wasn't long into the race when I found myself heading to the Emergency Room. " I think I may need a few stitches, and I may have broken my arm" were the words Dr.Van Spoke. The words I wanted to speak were "I knew it, you're not mortal you lied to me" But I held my quick tongue and like a good wife I hitched a ride to the hospital to kiss his "boo-boos" better, and if "I told you so" happened to slip out, he would have no choice but to agree with me at that point, even if he didn't want to, because he owed me.
I was in no way prepared for what I was to come face to face with. And that's how Dr. Van wanted it. Not only did he need a "few stitches" he needed a few surgeries to completely put his hand back together. It was horrible. And I had to watch him as they cut of his very cool racing suit. That was just the beginning. He had what they called a "partial amputation" pretty much the poor guy almost lost his hand. Did I mention Dr.Van is Dentist? He kinda needs his hands....just saying.
So this accident was a huge set back in many ways. Or at least I thought it was going to be. Turns out, Dr.Van and I both agree that this accident was a blessing in disguise. Crazy I know. I'm not happy that this happened by any means, but I see the chain of events that took place before and after the accident and I can't help but see how we were led to this point of our lives here in North Carolina.

We took this accident as a chance to re-evaluate our life and our priorities. "What is the best thing for the family?" We have 4 kids and an opportunity to start over. Where do we go? And as soon as we got to Asheville NC there was such peace and calm. Nothing like I had ever felt before. I totally didn't expect it either. And I really didn't expect Dr.Van to feel it too. So here we are. 9 months ago we made the move across the country, and we are settling in "mighty fine" Dr.Van bought a practice and works to bring home the bacon, and occasional squirrel meat. (not really, but I won't be surprised when that day comes, I guess I'm just gearing up for it) I am lucky enough to stay home with the whipper-snappers. I'm trying to adjust to being in a new place and finding my way around town, which isn't too hard with good ol' GPS. But these curvy roads are killing me!! Where's the grid system people??? K I get lost alot even with GPS.

SO I am using this blog to document my ongoings here in NC, maybe share a recipe or two, did I mention I love to cook? I am currently experimenting with polenta...Well Dr. Van is heading off to bed and has politely asked me to join him..."Well, since you asked so nicely, (and my since my leg is asleep and I have to go potty so bad"...TMI. sorry. I'd better "get gone"...Night Ya'll

1 comment: